1201 Riverside Dr, Asheville NC 28804 - 828-253-3588
"We are what we are because of what we have been."
We are dedicated to maintaining the Anglican traditions that have formed our worship over the ages.
Matthew 15: (10-20), 21-28
[Jesus called the crowd to him and said to them, “Listen and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles.” Then the disciples approached and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees took offense when they heard what you said?” He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. Let them alone; they are blind guides of the blind. And if one blind person guides another, both will fall into a pit.” But Peter said to him, “Explain this parable to us.” Then he said, “Are you also still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth enters the stomach, and goes out into the sewer? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this is what defiles. For out of the heart come evil intentions, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile.”]
Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. Just then a Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon.” But he did not answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, “Send her away, for she keeps shouting after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” He answered, “It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus answered her, “Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.” And her daughter was healed instantly.
- Roof Replacement: At the Vestry meeting of July 30, the Vestry approved the replacment of the Parish Hall roof. It is finally going to happen after many year of research, planning and praying. Due to the recent rainy weather, the work is now scheduled to begin August 16th. Our gratitude to the many that have worked so hard to make this happen.
- New Parish Directory: Tonda Lunsford has agreed to create a new directory for the parish, since we have lost some members and gained new ones in the last few years. If you have not already done so, Please write your name, phone number, address and email on the sheet in the Parish Hall.
- Refreshment Volunteers for 10:30 Service: Many thanks to the people who have volunteered to serve refreshments after the 10:30 service. August 20s refreshments will be provided by George and Lelia, and on the 27th Dan and Arvilla will provide refreshments. Also, many thanks to the faithful people who serve refreshments after the 8:15 service.
- Guided Imagery: Please not that, contrary to previous announcements in the bulletin, we will no longer have guided imagery sessions.
- Tuesday, August 22: The book club will meet at 6:00 PM.
- Saturday, September 2: Justin Jackson (Diane Jackson's son) and Chelcea Farrar will be married at 2:00 PM. All members of the church are invited to join in this joyous occasion.
- Wednesday, September 6: First Wednesday Covered Dish Supper at 6:00 PM, followed by Evening Prayer at 7:00 PM.
- Wednesday, September 13: Daughters of the King will meet at 6:00 PM, location to be determined.
Altar Flowers: If you would like to place flowers on the altar as a memorial or in thanksgiving, please place your donation in one of the colored envelopes found in the narthex, write your name and the person/cause to be honored in the blanks, and place it in the offering plate.
Prayers: If you are in need of special prayers such as RIP for family members or friends, healing, or any special situations, please call Diane Jackson at 768-0044 to add your prayers to our prayer chain. If you would like to become a member of the prayer chain, talk to Diane Jackson.
This Week's Worship Schedule: